|Loving Kindness Discourse|
- One skilled in good, wishing to attain
that state of peace should act thus:
he should be able, straight, upright,
obedient, gentle, and humble.
- He should be contented, easy to support,
with few duties, living lightly,
controlled in senses, discreet,
not impudent, unattached to families.
- He should not do any slight wrong
for which the wise might censure him.
May all beings be happy and secure!
May all beings have happy minds!
- Whatever living beings there may be
without exception, weak or strong,
long, large, middling,
short, subtle, or gross,
- Visible or invisible,
living near or far,
born or coming to birth
may all beings have happy minds!
- Let no one deceive another
nor despise anyone anywhere.
Neither in anger nor ill-will
Should anyone wish harm to another.
- As a mother would risk her own life to protect her only child, even so towards all living beings one should cultivate a boundless heart
- One should cultivate for all the world
a heart of boundless loving-kindness,
above, below, and cross,
unobstructed, without hate or enmity.
- Whether standing, walking, or sitting,
lying down or whenever awake,
he should develop this mindfulness; this is called divinely dwelling here.
- Not falling into erroneous views,
but virtuous and endowed with vision, removing desire for sensual pleasures, he comes never again to birth in the womb.
By the power of this Truth may I always enjoy well-being.
Karaniya Metta Sutta
- Karanlyam atthakusalena
Yam tarn santam padam abhisamecca
Sakko uju ca suju ca
Suvaco c’assa mudu anatimanl
- Santussako ca subharo ca
Appakicco ca sallahuka-vutti
Santindriyo ca nipako ca
Appagabbho kulesu ananugiddh
- Na ca khuddam samacare kinci
Yena vinfiu pare upava-deyyum
Sukhino va khemino hontu
Sabbe satta bhavantu sukhitatta
- Ye keci panabhutatthi
Tasa va thavara va anavasesa Digha va ye mahanta va Majjhima rassakanuka-thula
- Dittha va yeva adittha
Ye ca dure vasanti avidure Bhuta va sambhavesi va Sabbe satta bhavantu sukhitatta
- Na paro pararn ni kubbetha
Natimannetha katthacinam kanci
Nanna mannassa dukkham iccheyya.
- Mata yatha niyarn puttarn Ayusa ekaputtam anurakkhe Evam pi sabbabhiitesu Manasarn bhavaye aparimanam
- Mettam ca sabba-lokasmim
Manasarn bhavaye aparimanam
Uddharn adho ca tiriyan ca
Asambadham averam asapattarn
- Tittharn cararn nisinno va
Sayano va yavatassa vigatamiddho
Etarn satim adhittheyya
Brahmarn-etam viharam idha mahu.
- Ditthin ca anupagamma silava
Kamesu vineyya gedharn
Na hi jatu gabbhaseyyam punar-etl’ti.
sotthi me (te) hotu sahbada
(Recite three times)